mechanicals tutorials

Receive step by step assistance on completing various parts of your replica by following the guides here!
Top Contributor

mechanicals tutorials

Postby kitt23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 pm

can people post mechanical tutorials like the front struts/shocks replacement, brakes etc for people like me who are trying to learn how to do things on their own
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Re: mechanicals tutorials

Postby ripperace » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

I can! I AM going to be working on mine the next couple of days because I'm taking some stuff to the media blaster. Ball joints and coil springs seem to be an issue that I've been asked about on several occassions, so I can do a front end tutorial.

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 pm

awesome TY Heath....i know it will help me out alot as well as others
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:17 am

I plan on doing one on the proper way to rebuild the front suspension components. This will include new bushings, ball joints, springs, tie rods, drag link, idler arm, and struts. Tear down, replacement, and re-installation. If it's your first time, a task of this nature can be pretty intimidating, but it's really not that bad. The main thing is to have the special tool required. Some can be rented, but some you might have to farm out some of the work such as when it comes to bushing installation, as I've always used a hydraulic press for that. The other special tools can be rented from Auto Zone, such as a spring compressor, ball joint press, and splitting forks. But if you're replacing the ball joints and tie rods, sometimes splitting forks aren't even necessary.

I'll elaborate more when I write the tutorial. Stay tuned. I'll have some pics up as well. Like I mentioned, I plan on working on the car, well, now tomorrow, and will do this in two parts. Disassembly, and reassembly. The reason for it being two parts is due to the fact that I am having my suspension components media blasted, and they will be painted afterwards. So between getting things blasted, painted, and reinstalled, there is going to be a lag in time. So if this isn't too much of an inconvenience, perfect! If it will be, you're just gonna have to wait! LOL!

Ripper

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

lol....im excited to see these videos and learn
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 am

Well it won't be a video, but it will be with a bunch of pics. I think a vid would be too long to post on youtube and link to. So, with that in mind, I'll make it simple as I can, and have plenty of pics. I'll see if I can do a vid of that length, but I doubt it. One thing, one section of reassembly won't be a vid because I'll have to use the press at work. Taking vids and pics at work is a HUGE no no. I can probably get away with one pic of an A-frame pictured in the press, but that step is pretty simple anyway. More to come soon, as I took some pics today, and have the one side of the suspension gutted at this point. Just gotta sort out the pics, and write it up.

Ripper

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm working on this today. I want to be thorough on the tutorial, including examination of components, tire wear, evaluating the individual components. So this is taking some time. I want to be sure I make it so that anyone can read it, understand it, and get the total gist of what I'm trying to write and convey to you people.

Again, the first part should be done here in the next couple days, along with inspection and evaluation. Then will be reassembly, and installation. The last part of the series is taking it to an alignment shop! LOL!

I wanted to do one on rebuilding a small block chevy, but have found that my pics I took when I rebuilt mine were on another hard drive that crashed, so that's out! LOL!

Stay tuned, and bear with me here the next couple days. I'll at least have you tearing into it and finding out which components are bad. Also wanted to note that the complete tutorial will be posted in a separate thread unto itself so there is no confusion. If after I write it, and the mods feel it's good enough, they can make it a sticky, lock it down, or do whatever they want with it.

Ripper

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 am

I'd like to update any of you who have been waiting for any tutorials from me. I was to do one on suspension, and that hasn't happened yet. It's not that I won't keep my word, but life has a way of getting in the way of hobbies. I've been flooded with work up until this week, and had a spell with a heart condition that I just got taken care of this week. So since I haven't taken anything in at the shop since I was diagnosed, the shop has gotten pretty empty. I had a tranny job that got canceled, so I'll have some time on my hands here next week. I want to take that time and finish the tutorial on front ends, and possibly do one on the steering column tightening that I touched on in the "expert" thread. I'd like to apologize to those who might have been waiting in advance. I know at least one of you was looking forward to the suspension tutorial.

Thank you, and stay tuned!

Ripper

Postby scatpack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 am

Take care of yourself first Rip. Tutorials can wait.

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:08 pm

yes , health first, family first, kitt last....just take care of urself
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Return to “Tutorials”