Magnetic Tail Light Blackout [Homemade + Charodon Plastics]

Receive step by step assistance on completing various parts of your replica by following the guides here!

Magnetic Tail Light Blackout [Homemade + Charodon Plastics]

Postby DaRKSLaiN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:48 pm

About my blackout i used the "Kanuck's nice rear" method to resize the screws that holds onto the chassis and make a little more space to mount it without oversizing it. About the hook-up they are MAGNETS (Neodymium magnets) with a power of 2'6 KG / each. It holds like hell... :D!! I've even tried it at +120mph and nope, it won't fly off :D i've got to change it because it was a regular transparent plex with a smoked lamine... hand-cutted (facepalm... :roll:) the magnets were as powerful as they completely rip the lamine out of the plex with his holding power... now im in the need of having a fully smoked lexan like don's one or test the waters with Mike, who mades really beautiful blackouts...

...And i finally were able to reach one of Mike's Charodon Plastics Blackout, it was STUNNING!! :o

You could see the process, basically you get metal plates to hold the magnets and install the magnets in the intermediate holes of the 1982 smoked tail lights. Use epoxy to keep them on the plastics :)

Don't forget to paint with a Spray the metal plates on the side you'll glue them to the blackout, because if you let them as silver, you'll get a "silver" rear look horrible...

...But if you go on the right way... you rear will look fresh, without bolts and with the possibility of removing it easy, as far as restore your tail lights to stock when you want :) (or if you have to had inspections hahaha :))

Greetings! ;)

Re: Magnetic Tail Light Blackout [Homemade + Charodon Plasti

Postby optimuspatrick » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm

GREAT! Thanks to share it!

I 've seen in person and it looks outstanding.
At first time I though this can be loose with the wind or by epoxy's fault, but now, after years, you tested well. You drived too many kilometers/miles at high speeds without problems. Now im am sure you found a great way to put black overlay with a clean and removable look.

Postby DaRKSLaiN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:41 pm

optimuspatrick wrote:GREAT! Thanks to share it!

I 've seen in person and it looks outstanding.
At first time I though this can be loose with the wind or by epoxy's fault, but now, after years, you tested well. You drived too many kilometers/miles at high speeds without problems. Now im am sure you found a great way to put black overlay with a clean and removable look.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Donator: Yes

Postby customkitt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Not bad!!
KNIGHTDESIGNS.COM. A revolution of Accuracy, Quality, Integrity, and Honesty

Postby DaRKSLaiN » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:05 am

THANKS B!! ;)

Postby blueshield6630 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am

Looks pretty good. How expesnive are the magnets and where do you get them? How much is the blackout from where you got it? Im trying to look at all the alternatives out there before I buy one. Thanks

Postby DaRKSLaiN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

blueshield6630 wrote:How expesnive are the magnets and where do you get them? How much is the blackout from where you got it? Im trying to look at all the alternatives out there before I buy one. Thanks

In order:

- About 80$ (i bought them on eBay, you just got to search "neodymium magnets")
- About 65$ + Shipping (Mike "KNI1GHT" is selling them, top quality and price) : www.charodonplastics.com

There's nothing like this, you could preserve the tail lights in his original (No need to remove outer covers, just the center piece) form and even restore them to stock. Plug and play (here it's a must due to inspections) and STRONG holding.

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Can you post more close up pics of the blackout during the day?also dies his blackout fit recessed lights?
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Postby blueshield6630 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm

I found the magnets at magnets4less.com. It was under $8 for 12 magnets, It cost $24 with shipping. These are the sizes i ordered:

Model# NB023-3
Rare Earth Magnets 3/4 in x 1/4 in x 1/8 in Neodymium Block N42
Pull Force: over 4.5 lbs
Magnetized through 1/8"

Next I am going to order the blackout and give it a shot. What type of epoxy should i use or does anyone think the double sided 3M tape would be good to try to apply the magnets to tail lights and black outs?

Postby DaRKSLaiN » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Blueshield, don't use 3M doublesize tape, it won't be enough, i use Epoxy Resin, which brand i don't know, but for sure in the majority of the models they will advert something like "super strenght" and "super fast", choose the super strenght, because you will have more time to manipulate the magnet and the result will be more transparent than faster epoxy's one ;)

I'll try to get some daylight pics, but you're right, it's barely noticeable on the daylight with position lights, but brake lights are seen perfectly, same as turnsignals and rear, it's the REAL DEAL!! hahaha :D

Return to “Tutorials”