I will be putting up a few tutorials soon

Receive step by step assistance on completing various parts of your replica by following the guides here!

I will be putting up a few tutorials soon

Postby Renrat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 pm

I have a tutorial I wrote many years ago about fixing a sloppy tilt steering column in a Firebird, including illustrations. I also have one about swapping out a shifter on a 1983 and newer Trans Am with one from a Camaro so that you can use a vintage 82 shift knob. it too has illustrations. I just have to get them organized and the pictures up on photobucket.

Re: I will be putting up a few tutorials soon

Postby DaRKSLaiN » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Renrat wrote:I also have one about swapping out a shifter on a 1983 and newer Trans Am with one from a Camaro so that you can use a vintage 82 shift knob. it too has illustrations. I just have to get them organized and the pictures up on photobucket.

Hey Scott... do you remember...? :)

DS's car wrote:- 82-84 Center console with 4-speed Camaro compatible Shifter.

I was MAD to do modifications to my original shifter and hook the Round Shifter Knob, because i've heard always that the button pops up or could be at a distance which is not desired...

...Then you appear and told me that the Camaro 4-speed shifter works like a charm with the 82-84 lower console and the knob. Man, you saved my ass hahaha :) it was a PIECE OF CAKE!! and works PERFECT!!

Can't wait to see more tutorials! :)

Postby pathology knight » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:39 pm

i've always used a camaro shifter: 2 different 80's trans am and also in my 4th gen (i hate the T-handle).

the camaro route is the best way to go, hands down.

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Postby ripperace » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Scott is a VERY knowledgeable cat when it comes to these cars, or most GM products. I look forward to seeing these tech pieces coming up.

Also, I'm in the midst of writing one up myself on an easy way to keep your doors lined up if you intend to remove them for paint, and if they already line up before you remove them.

Ripper

Postby Albert » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm

I have a Pontiac Firebird 91 aged and I'd like to change my actual T-shifter for an 82-84 trans Am shifter appearance, do you recomend me a Camaro shifter?
Why not a 82-84 Trans Am shifter?
Exactly what kind of shifter is? any photos how to install?
Thanks ;)

Postby pathology knight » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:27 pm

like i said, i always use a camaro shifter.

your '91 bird probably has a 700r4 transmission and the 82-84 shifter assemblies were paired with a different trans with no overdrive. All the assemblies install the same way, no you'll have no issues there, but you need to match the assembly with the right transmission so you can use all your gears.

switching from a T-handle (push button on the side) to a knob where the push button is on the top is just easier to do with a camaro, since they came that way. It's easy to just remove the camaro knob and add another one of your choice. I'm not a fan of the 82-84 kitt knob, so i actually use one from a '78 grand prix.

Depending on your application, you might have to do some test fits and a little work, but it's pretty easy to do. I haven't had to do itfro several years, so i don't remember every exact detail, removing and installing should go something like this:

remove the T-handle (i think it's held in place by staple)
remove the console (i don't remember if you have to remove the whole console or just the shifter plate that's in the console)
remove the shifter assembly - it's only a couple bolts and pins from the linkage
test fit your new knob and top button to the "matching" camaro shifter assembly. Check to make sure everything fits and moves properly.
install camaro shifter assembly
install console/plate
add new knob to shifter stem

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm

billy batts aka 1batt4u makes a new shifter that there is no need to swap to a camaro shifter

my cars an 83. made no modifications.

R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Postby pathology knight » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 pm

that works too!

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:20 pm

great guy too! he will ship out your shifter fast. I highly highly recommend his.
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Postby Albert » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:46 am

Ok! I'm going to talk to Billy C! I have seen he makes 2 kind of shifter knobs, Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Return to “Tutorials”