New "Astro van" Steering Bearing / Upgrade...

Receive step by step assistance on completing various parts of your replica by following the guides here!
Top Contributor
Donator: Yes

New "Astro van" Steering Bearing / Upgrade...

Postby Rafael » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 am

I am posting a link, for reference, I am not the seller, nor getting any kick backs... just a thirdgen user wanting to spread the word...

If you've been looking through the classifieds on www.thirdgen.org (like I do) you've seen a couple of sellers that sell an upgraded Astro van Steering Shaft... it basically replaces the sloppy / worn rag joint with a metal U joint... Nice...

Another upgrade some were doing, they were upgrading the lower factory plastic bushing with a bearing that the Astro van's also had... most people I talked to said they had trouble finding one in good shape... and I really wanted to address all the upgrades here...

I checked ebay and found a seller... I emailed him first and explained that the 91 Firebird had a plastic bushing, would this actual bearing fit / work? He stated yes. So I ordered it. And it does nicely!

It does state in his ad, "non air bag" but my 91 had an air bag, and it fit fine...

I bought the one from ebay, seller cjsrods73j3, currently $45 shipped...
Part # 69-95GM
Item Title: 69-95 GM tilt & non tilt New Steering Column Lower Bearing, 100% USA Made, L@@@K

Current Ebay Auction
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-95-GM-tilt-non-tilt-New-Steering-Column-Lower-Bearing-100-USA-Made-L-K-/131481158788?vxp=mtr"]69 95 GM Tilt Non Tilt New Steering Column Lower Bearing 100 USA Made L K | eBay[/url]

There are a couple sellers in the classifieds of www.thirdgen.org selling the shafts, so if you want to also upgrade the plastic bushing to a bearing, this one works...

The steering is tight after upgrading these 2 items!

Rafael

Re: New "Astro van" Steering Bearing / Upgrade...

Postby IndianaKnight » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the tips, but I'm not sure what lower factory plastic bushing you are talking about. Is it also part of the shaft or part of the steering column?

Top Contributor
Donator: Yes

Postby Rafael » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Lower part of colum For bearing.
Astro steering shaft is other upgrade.

Postby scatpack » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I will check my 83.
The 84 is sloppy but I figured it's not a ws6 car so it won't handle like the 83.

Return to “Tutorials”