KentuckyKITT's Season 1/2 Replica

A place to share updates and photos of your replica builds!

Re: KentuckyKITT's Season 1/2 Replica

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Now, back to the lower console. Around the same time I was mocking up the overhead, I finished assembling the lower console and mounted it in the car. I got the 4 white rockers and the 5 red and green from Jupiter Electonics.

I then built some simple brackets to secure the dash to the console perch and the perch to the console to prevent the dash from bouncing and sagging with the heavy CRTs.

Finished and mounted in the car:

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Next I obtained some static pod buttons from Brian Thone and these are just awesome looking for what they are. They are based off the actual buttons that were being made at the time as a display item. I mounted them with a couple of small screws to my pod and they look great!

I still have these same pod switches today.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:36 pm

That was pretty much all of the progress until about 2014 when I decided I had enough of the smoke plexi in the dash and I still wasn't happy with the tv fitment, so I stumbled on some decent plastic overlays for cheap as well as a voicebox bezel and took the dash back out of the car again to get going on this.

Installed the voicebox bezel

Removed the TVs and worked that area some more and began installing the overlays along with PANP buttons I've had for years.

Now that was looking good!!

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Next I tackled the gullwing a little bit. Mark Puette had these cool knight's head pins made and they just happen to be the exact size of the gullwing knight head, so after removing the pin-on portion, I bonded it to the gullwing and obtained a decal from ebay as well.

The gullwing still had a few issues in the paint/urethane, but that's okay, that all gets resolved when the car gets repainted.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Everything installed back in the car and looking pretty nice!

All shined up for car shows:

And...this is how the car stayed and was shown until July 29, 2015. It was a huge hit at car shows and cruise ins and I became famous in my little town as I'm sure we all do. All the while this progress is being made, I had been saving up for a paint job.

On July 29, 2015, in one day, I dismantled the car and drove it to the painter the next day and dropped it off.

More to come... We are almost to the present.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Here is KITT stripped and ready to drive to the painter about 45 minutes away. I took off everything I could get away with and still be able to drive the car. I boxed up all the small painted parts and headed south. Little did I know it would be a year and 3 months before the car was back in my driveway.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:35 pm

It sat for 8 months before actually being started on, but I had to get in the building because I didn't want it sitting outside. I was told 4-6 months before it would even be started on, so it took a little longer. It lived in the corner of the building for quite awhile until it was time. The engine was started by me every two weeks and brought up to operating temperature. I also treated the fuel. It was a long and sometimes frustrating process, but it's finally done and I learned a lot about paint and body work since I was involved with the process. I have just as many hours if not more in block sanding as the painter. This car has been blocked and primed 3 times before we finally were happy with it. I put over 4,000 miles on my truck in 4 months going back and forth and working on it every night I could and every Saturday and Sunday.

There were lots of issues in the body that we didn't even know until we stripped it down. The driver's side door was a disaster, someone in the past did not know what they were doing and used way too much plastic to fill dings. The body line was almost shot, so the whole door had to be reworked. I also had to replace the door roller/pins on the door while it was off since they were in terrible shape to begin with. We discovered this car had been repainted in the front 3 times and twice all over. There was a "CB" antenna hole in the rear driver's side quarter next to the spoiler that showed up and was previously filled with bondo which was interesting. We welded that up. We also welded up the rear wiper & roof washer holes properly and the front lower fender gfx mounting holes as well as mud flap screw holes in the wheel lips.

The biggest job was the replacement of the ttop rails and welding all the roof holes. My 82 is virtually rust free except the ttop area was always in bad shape since I've had it. Remember, I cut out a set of good shape rails from a junk yard car several years ago and they finally got installed.

Waiting to be started on getting covered in dust:

Postby KentuckyKITT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Finally getting started on...

I acquired a set of GTA wheels for my 89, so I took the Firebird wheels and swapped out the turbo casts and brand new tires. I also removed more body items such as a-pillar/b-pillar channels, weatherstripping, mirrors, door handles/locks and we removed the hatch.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Installing the ttop channels and welding up the CB antenna hole in the rear quarter as well. I drilled out and removed the old channels myself to save money and time. I also ground the body ledges down, everything I could do to prepare for the welding. In addition, I ground the used rails down on the back side, lips and straightened some of the welds/inside channel I drilled out from the junkyard car. Then, using a series of clamps and a couple of hours, we welded the new ones on and welded up the rust holes in the back of the roof and front windshield frame.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm

We also took out the windshield before welding started as I had made the decision to replace it. Even though it was original to the car and had faded bronze tint, it was badly delaminating and had various chips and scratches as well as a large scratch where the windshield wiper dug into it some years before I got it.

After several weeks for body work and block sanding until my fingers bled, it was finally time for primer and more block sanding.

I also decided to repaint all trim black parts back to trim black, such as ttop center bar, ttop end trim, ttop a & b pillar channels and the hatch surround which is pictured below:

Return to “Replica Progress Updates”