That basically brings us to the present! Talked to my insurance agent and got the value increased from $10,000 to $25,000. That made me feel a little better. It hasn't been out much due to the front end being in terrible shape, so I tackled that a few weeks ago:
I bought new wheel bearings, rotors, pads, ball joints, center link, tie rods, sleeves, stabilizer bar bushings and end-links
Table full of parts ready to go!
Just some random pictures I took of the install process:
I'm paranoid when it comes to jacking up on gravel, so I go overkill with safety. Car has 4 jackstands under it, the two main supports are on concrete pavers and then I put the car ramps under the body so if all 4 jack stands miraculously fail, the body can't fall all the way down. It's ridiculous, but all it takes is one time to fall on you, so worth it to me! One of these days I will have a proper garage with a concrete floor.
Here's a tip, build your new assembly to the exact dimensions of the old and that will get you close enough to drive it to the alignment shop.
Ball joints still suck and are always a pain. I just did all of this work on the 89 a couple years back and it made that car a whole new car and it did the same for KITT. Now, there's no more shimmy, no more loose feeling, and no more wandering on the road. I also replaced the leaking steering box with a quick ratio Camaro Z28 box. This is nice for the gullwing! I took the car to the alignment shop two weeks ago and got it all aligned and it drives like a new 82!