KentuckyKITT's Season 1/2 Replica

A place to share updates and photos of your replica builds!

Re: KentuckyKITT's Season 1/2 Replica

Postby KittCARR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Bryyyyyyyyyyaaaan!!!!!

Been wondering where you went. Your replica's were always some of my favourite cars. Really great too see you back on the boards. I haven't posted much either myself, but hopefully that changes soon. Car is looking really great. Can't wait too see more updates.

I'll be making the trip to Indiana in April, so hopefully we can finally meet face too face:)

Joey.
1982 Trans am. 4th season replica.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:53 pm

KittCARR wrote:Bryyyyyyyyyyaaaan!!!!!

Been wondering where you went. Your replica's were always some of my favourite cars. Really great too see you back on the boards. I haven't posted much either myself, but hopefully that changes soon. Car is looking really great. Can't wait too see more updates.

I'll be making the trip to Indiana in April, so hopefully we can finally meet face too face:)

Joey.

Hi Joey! Yes, it's been quite some time. I think I left the forums in 2013 if I recall, but I never left the hobby. Just been building my car and taking it to shows and cruise-ins, and working a lot these days. I've also gone to Atlanta every year. That's great that you're going to Indiana! I will definitely see you there! I'm looking forward to it!

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm

luvKITT wrote:Yep I remember you told me about this car for sale in FL when I was first looking for one. Too bad i didn't take your advice and go get it..lol, but at least you have it now. Funny I have an 84 now but leaving it stock. Glad you are back on the board because I was always wondering how things were going because I know you aren't on facebook....and can't say I blame ya..lol.

Hey! You know, I forgot all about that. I seem to recall seeing it for sale and then a short time later figured out my car I had just bought was total junk, so I went and got that one! My how time goes by and memory is lost! I'm glad I got it too, because it's the most solid third gen I've ever owned and I always wanted an 82!

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Back to the build....

Sometime a few years ago, Rob Louisell was having a 1/2 off sale, so I bought a 2-tv dash and pod and couldn't wait to get started on it!

I still have this same dash and pod today.

Test fitting it in the car:

Wondering what I was going to do here to connect the dash and console together...

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm

I decided to bolt the pod to the dash using 6 bolts to snug it up tight and then sanded and primed the dash and pod together and painted it all with SEM Landau Black. Wasn't really happy with the paint layout, but that's okay, it all gets shot with a paint gun later while the car is being repainted. It's extremely hard to paint something this big with spray cans and keep it wet, but it was okay for now!

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Next, I decided to tackle TV frames. I've always liked the pilot frames the best. At the time, I wasn't happy with what was available, so, I made my own using the actual TVs that the show used. This is not easy to do at all.

Testing them in the dash to see how I was going to position and mount them:

Realized I was going to have to modify the dash some to get them to sit back in there.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:28 pm

I knew it would be awhile before I had dash electronics, so I decided to buy some smoke plexi and put inserts in the openings which would look better and I'd still be able to see my factory gauges while driving, but no one would else see them at shows.

Still wondering what I'm going to do with these TVs too.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Finally after cutting out the dash's original "tv" area, and a lot of grinding, I was able to get them in there and secured relatively nice for now. I also finished the plexiglass and installed the countdown I acquired at some point. Final test fit of dash with wheel and bolted down in the car:

I wasn't really happy with the spacing of the tv frames just yet, but I fix this later.

More to come...

Postby KentuckyKITT » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:53 pm

So, later I got side tracked from the interior work and decided the car needed fog lights. I just bought some run of the mill glass lamps with plastic housings, fashioned some brackets so that they would hang onto the impact bar and not bounce or move, but still be adjustable. I wanted them straight and far back and achieved this quite well!

I installed these without removing the front bumper. I just simply removed the slam tray so that I could get to the impact bar, took a bunch of measurements so that I could get them where I wanted and secured the brackets to the top of the bar with self-tapping sheet metal screws. They've been in there for about 5 years now and haven't moved any at all. They are lighted using two relays and hidden switches on the factory dash.

Postby KentuckyKITT » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Back to the interior. I've always favored the pilot overhead the most, and since my car is sort of a mix between pilot/1st and second season with a tiny touch of 3/4 season with the gullwing, why not? I like this console because it really stands out. In my first car, I had a season 2 overhead and no one could even tell it was there unless they leaned in and looked up or if I had the driver's side t-top out. With this console, you can't miss it and it gives the interior a "cockpit" feel. I acquired the overhead and templates from Knight Designs and the electronics from Brenon Fulbright and got to work on it.

Mounting it in the car. I didn't want the headliner to show at the top, so I mounted it to the very edge of the t-top center bar using just 4 small countersunk allen head screws. Since this console is very lightweight, this worked out perfectly and I only have 4 exposed screws (2 each side).

Cutting it out and installing the templates, rockers and electronics:

I bonded threaded studs to the back side of console so that I could secure the boards with small nuts.

All of the templates are bonded to the fiberglass using panel bond adhesive, which means they are never coming off and they don't need to, since the boards are mounted from the inside and rest against the templates. Worked out pretty good!

More to come...

Return to “Replica Progress Updates”