It sat for 8 months before actually being started on, but I had to get in the building because I didn't want it sitting outside. I was told 4-6 months before it would even be started on, so it took a little longer. It lived in the corner of the building for quite awhile until it was time. The engine was started by me every two weeks and brought up to operating temperature. I also treated the fuel. It was a long and sometimes frustrating process, but it's finally done and I learned a lot about paint and body work since I was involved with the process. I have just as many hours if not more in block sanding as the painter. This car has been blocked and primed 3 times before we finally were happy with it. I put over 4,000 miles on my truck in 4 months going back and forth and working on it every night I could and every Saturday and Sunday.
There were lots of issues in the body that we didn't even know until we stripped it down. The driver's side door was a disaster, someone in the past did not know what they were doing and used way too much plastic to fill dings. The body line was almost shot, so the whole door had to be reworked. I also had to replace the door roller/pins on the door while it was off since they were in terrible shape to begin with. We discovered this car had been repainted in the front 3 times and twice all over. There was a "CB" antenna hole in the rear driver's side quarter next to the spoiler that showed up and was previously filled with bondo which was interesting. We welded that up. We also welded up the rear wiper & roof washer holes properly and the front lower fender gfx mounting holes as well as mud flap screw holes in the wheel lips.
The biggest job was the replacement of the ttop rails and welding all the roof holes. My 82 is virtually rust free except the ttop area was always in bad shape since I've had it. Remember, I cut out a set of good shape rails from a junk yard car several years ago and they finally got installed.
Waiting to be started on getting covered in dust: