blueshield6630's KITT Project (not even close to a replica)

A place to share updates and photos of your replica builds!

Re: blueshield6630's KITT Project (not even close to a repli

Postby blueshield6630 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

I put on the Rob L. bumper yesterday. It fit kinda snug, I had to loosen fenders and squeeze it into place. Overall it looks okay, I did notice that the passenger side bottom piece is not even with the fender, not sure if the stone deflectors will cover that or not. The mounting tabs dont quite line into place either, I may have to do some sanding to get it right. Im guessing this is an out of mold bumber. I also noticed a few other things here and there. Im not dissapointed because I paid about half of what it would have cost new. If I would have paid $1000 plus, then I would be pretty pissed off.

I will have to shave the headlight and turn signal bezels and adjust the headlights a bit. Then I need to drill out some slightly larger holes into the mounting tabs so I can use larger bolts. I did not secure it completely yet. I just want to get a test fit and I couldnt wait till spring to get it on there :mrgreen:

Here are a few pics I took with my phone last night, after these will be some daylight pics.

ImageImage

Postby blueshield6630 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Any ideas for the turn signal shelves? I want to make the blackouts straight acrcross. The fiberglass is very rigid and wont flex. I was thinking about wedges or maybe glassing in a piece to make it level.

Postby blueshield6630 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 pm

I dont want to fill in the shelves, I want to put smoked plexi on the insert. There is the tv show sag by the headlight area that I want to striaghten prior to putting on the black out covers.

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Postby ripperace » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm

You're going to have to get the nose mounted solidly first. Get it lined up where you want it, then tape off everything you don't want to make a mess of. Yup, you guessed it! You've got some modifying to do! You can either do one of two things. You can either fill up the low spot with duraglass or bondo (which I don't recommend), or you can build that area up with fiberglass. You'll need a flat block, lots of sandpaper (at least 80 grit and 36 grit), masking tape, some poly sheeting (to tape around other areas so you don't use a whole log of masking tape), fiberglass mat, polystyrene or polyester resin, paint brushes, a fiberglass roller, and some patience.

After you get the nose mounted and lined up to the car where you want it, you'll want to tape off any areas you don't want scuffed up, or covered in resin. Scuff past the ares you want to build up. So in your case, scuff the area where the turn signal indent starts over to the edge of that pocket where your black out would sit. Cut pieces of fiberglass mat to fit the area you want to raise, but actually cut them smaller, gradually increasing in size until you get that area filled up to the point where you can use a thin glaze of bondo. You're going to roll the resin out of the glass, so this stuff will stretch out a bit. This is the part that is important because you don't want the mat completely saturated with resin, You're trying to squeeze out the excess and get all the air bubbles out of the layup you're making. Basically what you're doing is building up the low areas of the turn signal areas, but not overdoing it at each layup. Keep in mind that you want to build up the area lightly at each layup so you don't have a lot of sanding to do. Roll away from the bottom edge where the blackout sits. Work smarter, not harder.

So with that in mind, after your first buildup sets up solid, scuff up the are you glassed. You want the next layer to stick and bond to the last, and it you don't scuff between layers, you run the risk of delamination (layers separating). Use the block to sand with ALWAYS. Don't use your hand unless you want it all wavy.

Fiberglassing can be fun! You just have to take your time, don't get carried away with a lot of resin, and think two steps ahead of what you want to do in this case. You're trying to build up an area, not make a layup like you're creating a part. Sand what you want to cover, mask over what you don't want to cover, and try to keep the resin and glass away from the areas you taped off. Use the plastic to tape to the nose to aid in keeping resin off of places you don't want glassed or messy with resin. If you need help, just ask! I know reading this and deciphering what it says might be like reading Greek, but I hope this helps.

Ripper

Postby blueshield6630 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Thank you! Now that is advice... Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that to me. I think I should practice on something before I work on the nose. At least I have something to work with and supplies that I need.

Postby Kevin Knight » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Kudos to "Ripper" for that. Glad to see a turn in people helping everyone, and contributing positively! Once again kudos, and best of luck with the modifying!

KK-
The Prodigal Son of the Knight Rider replica hobby.

Postby crow23462 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm

You mean they don't do that at the farm kevin ? Oh i mean Foundation ...I'm sorry that unless your a top guy meaning bo with his little inventions you get no help ...... People are buying from jay o when just last year he was a banned vendor do people speak ?

I'm in no way trying to steal this thread but really some times things need to be said !
My greatest gift is my kids ! thanks to them I get to play with toys !

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Postby ripperace » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm

OK, can we please keep this on topic? Everybody here knows the history.

And Dave, you're welcome. If you need anything else, PM me.

Ripper

Postby Kevin Knight » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 pm

I have no clue what that means, or refers too. sorry. I leave the politics to Washington.

KK-
The Prodigal Son of the Knight Rider replica hobby.

Postby pathology knight » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 am

i say screw that work!!! :o

i'd sell it and get one with the look you want. :D
that's some serious sag going on there.

kudos to those that do (and are able) to modify things if need be.

Return to “Replica Progress Updates”