KITTinKC's Season 3/4 KITT Replica

A place to share updates and photos of your replica builds!

KITTinKC's Season 3/4 KITT Replica

Postby KITTinKC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Hey, everyone -

I figured since I'm currently in the process of re-doing my interior that I better start by posting about my car with its current set-up. A lot of you may not know who I am as I don't post a ton. But I've had my car since 2009, and have been posting on the boards since maybe about 2008 (I've been a lurker for much longer). My KITT is a 1983 Trans Am.

On the exterior, I have ADIAT's front nose and blackout, and Lectric's (Brenon) scanner. I'm going to eventually replace the nose with one from Knight Designs (and Joe Huth's scanner bar), but for now I'm doing things kinda backwards and re-doing the interior first.

Currently, my KITT has a season 3/4 dash from Mark's Custom Kits. The lower console is also by Mark, and the upper console is ADIAT.

I can remember back in about 2000 being totally blown away by what Mark made. It's hard to believe now how much better things have gotten since then in terms of accuracy. Which is why I've decided to change my interior with items by Billy Gunter of Knight Designs.

Let the fun begin! 8-)

Here's the season 3/4 dash, switchpods, and gullwing I received from Billy. I'll post a review later, but as you can see - they're amazing! I can't thank Billy enough - he was a total pro throughout the whole process and you can really tell he puts A LOT of work into what he makes.

Underside with foam:

I also just received a new lower console from Billy that he finished. Like his dash, it's awesome!

The upper console is also one of Billy's, but I purchased it from Joe Huth a few years back. Sorry, I don't have a picture now but I'll have one up.

I have electronics from Lectric (which are UNBELIEVABLE.....Brenon is the man 8-) ) with overlays from Eric/Banshee. I'll get pictures of those up as the dash progresses.

Anyway, I'll use this thread to post the updates on the new dash as we move along. Cheers!

- Brian

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Re: KITTinKC's Season 3/4 KITT Replica

Postby Pac-Man » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:48 am

Brian, your car looks awesome! I cannot wait to see what it will look like with Billy's parts in it. That lower console is truly amazing!
"No one ever suggested that what we do is easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is." - Devon Miles

Project: K.I.T.T.
..:: Blog | Google+ | YouTube ::..

The Ultimate Knight Rider Map

Postby KITTinKC » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks!

And one small project that I'm going to have done pretty soon here: the red "lens" for the overlays. Just have a couple more to make.

Postby KITTinKC » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Just some updates on how we're progressing with the dash.

We had problems getting my voicebox to fit the resin voicebox bezel, so we switched it out for the aluminum BoBox from Brenon. It's really in there! It's been secured from both the front and the back to help prevent future cracking around it. We also widened the channel above for the countdown I got from Bo.

Got the holes cut out for the switchpod electronics.

Cut out the top for speaker grills. Originally, I was thinking of leaving the dash without speaker grills. But with the additional foam, it would really muffle the sound.

Now, we're adding a bottom to the switchpod unit to help add a little more support/protection underneath. After cutting the holes out for the electronics, there was just a tiny bit of fiberglass left. One good knee to that would be trouble. And, trust me, I'd be the first one to do that! Accidentally, of course. 8-)

We're getting closer to the home stretch. Still left are to finish the bottom of the pods, and maybe enclose the pod electronics. Also, I'm going with an iPad mini for the monitor so instead of hacking up the beautiful frame from Billy (which I'm sure I'll need when I decide to switch from the iPad in the future), we'll be making a new frame specifically for the iPad. Also, the pod electronic overlays from Jupiter are too big for the fiberglass pods, so we're going to make new overlays for those. (If anyone knows of any matte/flat black acrylic that's 1/16 of an inch or less and is laser engraver safe, let me know. :) ) I'm going to use my laser engraver to make new labels for the pod electronics to coincide with some of the functions that they'll be used for.

Everything's coming along just nicely. Still some work left to do and then it'll be ready to paint.

BTW - I'm open to any paint suggestions!

Postby KITTinKC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Got the bottom for the pods finished.

Instead of making a new frame, we're going to use Billy's frame to accommodate the iPad mini. It'll take a little mod work. It's also going to be changed from rear-mount to front-mount. Since the iKITT app only goes into "interaction mode" when the screen is vertical (it just turns into a scanner with the KR theme playing when the screen is horizontal), I'll need to be able to take the iPad out and lock the screen vertically. Plus, I'll need to take the iPad out when it gets really hot/cold out and the car's not being used.

And let me just re-iterate that these changes that are being made to the dash are NOT indicative of the way it was built. Billy built it exactly how I wanted, but being the indecisive jack@ss I am, I decided to make these changes after he had already sent it to me. I actually can't give enough compliments about not only how accurate it is, but how great the quality is! Billy was awesome to deal with and I'd recommend him to anyone.

Also, I'm aware that since Bo's helping me with my dash that there are "messages" getting out. Just to clear the air, Bo is a friend of mine and I couldn't be more thankful that he's helping me get my dash put together. I get that there's beef between Bo and some guys here. I also think that because of that, some of what Bo's been posting on FB has been either misinterpreted or taken out of context. It happens, I get it! Especially when your only interaction is online and not face-to-face. You guys could probably say the same thing with things you've posted. Billy, if you have any concerns please don't hesitate to contact me. Or any of you guys, please PM me! I'd much rather we address anything instead of letting it get out of control.

Guys, please don't turn this thread into a thread bashing Bo or the Foundation....there's plenty of other threads for that. Just PM me if there's anything you'd like to say. If you want to give me the "guilt by association" tag, so be it. There's not much I think I can do about that, but I will say that I respect the hell out of a lot of you guys here that also have beef with Bo. I'm only here for the talking car, not the drama. 8-)

Top Contributor
Donator: Yes

Postby Rafael » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Car & pieces looks great! Is that a Don Colie nose?

Rafael

Postby KITTinKC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks! And yes it is. I'll get around to updating that, but probably another year or two down the line. I really want to get Billy's nose with Joe's scanner bar.

Postby IndianaKnight » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Very nice. The more I see Billy's S4 dash, the more I think thats the way i need to go. And that lower console is perfect! I'll be happy if the one I'm cobbing together comes out half that nice.

If you can detail how you mount the pod electronics I would really be interested in seeing it. I've been kicking around different ways that it could be accomplished.

Postby KITTinKC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Absolutely! I think the idea right now is some sort of standoff bondo'd in to bolt into. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Postby IndianaKnight » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:33 pm

KITTinKC wrote:Absolutely! I think the idea right now is some sort of standoff bondo'd in to bolt into. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

I was considering wood or nylon strips 2-part epoxied around the edges. This would give me something to screw the boards to. The overlays I have need trimmed but I have no idea how I'm going to attach them.

Return to “Replica Progress Updates”