LED Lights

Open forum to discuss anything Knight Rider related that doesn't fit into the other sub-forums.
Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Re: LED Lights

Postby Pac-Man » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:16 am

I went back and forth before deciding on Halogen for my scanner. The LEDs just don't look right no matter how much tweaking you do...and no where near as bright in the sun. That's just my opinion of course. :)

Interesting about the headlights. I had never considered those.
"No one ever suggested that what we do is easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is." - Devon Miles

Project: K.I.T.T.
..:: Blog | Google+ | YouTube ::..

The Ultimate Knight Rider Map

Top Contributor

Postby Rafael » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:49 am

The Led's can be made bright (really bright), but since they turn on so quick (not authentic as an incandescent bulb), people add capacitors to add a dimming delay, which helps how it look authentic, but the problem with that is, it is set at a specific length of time... The halogen has a slight turn on delay, as the tungsten fires up & depending on how fast / slow the scan rate is, it affects the turn off delay... Slow scan, light has time to get bright, longer turn off delay... Fast scan, light doesn't have enough time to get full brightness, turn off delay is shorter... So the trailing effect is changed on a halogen scanner depending on how fast /slow it is scanning, where with the LED, the trailing effect is unchanged vs. it's speed...

Top Contributor

Postby Pac-Man » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm

What Raf said. :D
"No one ever suggested that what we do is easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is." - Devon Miles

Top Contributor

Postby Rafael » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Uh, yeah! :)

Here is a pic... 1 led, one halogen headlight... can you guess which is which?

LED Low Beams...

LED High Beams...

They were both aimed a little low in that pics...

Street / low beam... Again, I later adjusted to shoot a bit further up... and in person, much more good coverage, no dead / weak spots...

Top Contributor

Postby Pac-Man » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Those look pretty sweet Raf! What LEDs did you use for the headlights? Sorry if you have covered this elsewhere.

Top Contributor

Postby Rafael » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Postby cjaguar265 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:12 pm

I made this post before the next page loaded
Last edited by cjaguar265 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor

Postby Rafael » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:04 pm

The links are in the link in www.thirden.org link I posted... and tons more info... READ IT!

Postby cjaguar265 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:12 am

Hey tag do you have the updated photos

Postby jbeard1701 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Raf,
Do you have any issues with your LED marker lights functioning in the front? Since I switched to LED turn signals in the front, my front side marker bulbs didn't work (very dim with the dash installed; no illumination with the dash out). Same result when I switched to LED marker lights. I did some digging and the original GM engineers relied on the turn signal bulb filament as a low impedance ground for the side marker lights, changing the turn signals to LED eliminated the low ground impedance; leaving only leakage current to run the markers.

I also noticed that GM intended the marker lamps to blink opposite the turn signal when the parking lights were on and blink in unison when the parking lights were off.

To solve low ground impedance issue, I designed an interface board that plugs into the existing marker light socket and has a secondary bulb socket pigtail that attaches to the marker lens housing. Now my marker LED's work the exact same way as the old bulb design. I have an 82 Trans Am, so I don't know if the design changed after 84...
--Jeff.

Return to “General Discussion”