January 2017 Roll Call

Open forum to discuss anything Knight Rider related that doesn't fit into the other sub-forums.

Re: January 2017 Roll Call

Postby luvKITT » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Well here we go:

Exhaust pipe was the larger one on the later style cars, they had to fabricate something to make it fit to the original pipe because 84s were smaller than the 86, but it will have more flow so should be ok.
It looked as if the muffler and pipes were fine, nope he said it was rotted on the back side, ok well I have an extra that came off of my 86 so I took it over there.

Wheel barring or ball joints might be bad as there is some play in the wheels, hopefully it just needs a good grease job.
Have the wrong motor mounts on this car...ok well I had no clue nor Danny that the 82-84 had different mounts than the 85 and up. It won't hurt the engine or car at all just can't bolt the fan shroud together because the fan will hit it. No way to change them out except to pull the engine...Sorry nope not doing it.

Master cylinder is bad will need a new one otherwise one day I may not have any brakes.
Heater core might be bad...which means either I take the whole dash out to replace it...not happening...or I just can't drive it when its cold because I won't have any heat.

How is it I get cars like this that need all this work when I think it only needs just a little bit of work? I have no luck when it comes to cars...well except my Dodge Ram.

After all this I won't have hardly any money left in the bank so I won't have money to do ANYTHING.

Feeling a little frustrated at the moment what was supposed to be like a 300 dollar fix has turned into a 1000 dollar fix.
Julie

Postby IndianaKnight » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:11 am

ANY car that is out of warranty will be a pain in the butterly eventually. The further out of warranty it is, the more lily it is to be a pain.

The motor mounts can be changed with the engine in the car. It's tight, but if you Jack the engine up as high as possible it can be done.

The heater core can be changed without removing the dash as well. Lots of threads on the Internet about it. Some 1/4" extensions and small hands help.

The master cylinder is fairly easy. Just need some help to bleed the brakes afterward. Spray your bleeder fittings with penetrating oil for 3 or 4 consecutive days before you go at it.

Wishing you Patience and good luck!

Chad

Postby luvKITT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:35 pm

I would rather work on old cars than new, I open a hood of a new car and I don't know what I am looking at. Yeah I had somebody tell me that I could change the heater core without having to take the whole dash out I watched a video on it. At least I don't have to change the master cylinder out. Ball joints...well I am going to let another shop look at it and see what they think and if they are bad how much they would charge.

This is from Friday the 27th:

Good news bad news kind of day. Crazy day today.
Got the car home but I'm not 100% happy with it.
Check engine light goes on and off but that's probably due to the emissions taken off of it.
Ball joints are bad and this shop said 300 to fix, don't have it, so that means I can't drive it.
Exhaust problems, I have leaks and rattles will have to take it to the muffler shop to see what is up...when I have the money.
Good news is I don't need a master cylinder, its not leaking just happens to be really loose but if it isn't leaking its ok.
Now my wipers are not working and also my gas gauge isn't either...I will have to check the fuses.
You know I must have had a bad day if I was thinking about selling the car on the way home driving it, and say to heck with all cars.

Friday was just a really bad day for me.
Julie

Postby luvKITT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Just some pics of it at home. Maybe tuesday i will get a video of it running, going to be nice in the low 60s.

Julie

Return to “General Discussion”