my v6 wont start

Scanners not scanning? Boosters not boosting? Fuel pump not pumping? Ask for help for any conversion issue you are having here!

my v6 wont start

Postby dukeaholic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:14 am

I am having an issue with my firebird. its a 2.8 v6 and it ran good a few months ago. now it wont start. I replaced the button and cap on the distributer and still nothing. I hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key. when I first turn the engine over, it spudders for a second then nothing. what you guys think the issue might be?

Donator: Yes

Re: my v6 wont start

Postby stillgrowingup » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Google how to test your ignition coil. You'll need a voltmeter. Voltmeter can be easily found at a Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot, store.

Also you can probably have the ignition module test at an auto store.

I look there first.

Other things could be,

Bad gas
No gas. Lol
Old plug wires
Bad injectors.

You can resistance test your injectors with a voltmeter. Same with the coil.

Tony

Postby IndianaKnight » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Just pull the easiest spark plug to pull, plug it back in to the plug wire and rest it on the exhaust manifold to ground the body. Have an assistant crank it over while you watch the plug for spark. If you have spark then it's likely not the ignition system.

Also, I've had several electric fuel pumps that run but don't put out enough pressure to start the car. Check/replace your fuel filter first, but you may need to rent or borrow a fuel pressure gauge to see what the pump is really doing.

Donator: Yes

Postby stillgrowingup » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:52 pm

That makes sense too. :)

The color spark you see when testing like Chad says above can also tell you a lot. If spark is orange, that's a weak spark. And something needs replacing. If spark is blue, all is good.

Tony

Return to “Ask an Expert”