Looking For Feedback on Paint

Scanners not scanning? Boosters not boosting? Fuel pump not pumping? Ask for help for any conversion issue you are having here!
Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Looking For Feedback on Paint

Postby Pac-Man » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:27 am

Okay guys. you probably saw my other post about the over sprayed primer on the underbody. We took a ton of pictures of the car the other day, so I could get some feedback from you. I also wanted to see just how bad this really was. There are too many pictures to post here, so I am going to provide a link to my blog. Please take a look and let me know if you see anything else I should have fixed by this guy. If you see anything at all, please let me know.

Damage Assessment

I also tried all of the suggestions I received and compared the results. If anyone has any ideas I have not tried, let me know.
Last edited by Pac-Man on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No one ever suggested that what we do is easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is." - Devon Miles

Project: K.I.T.T.
..:: Blog | Google+ | YouTube ::..

The Ultimate Knight Rider Map

Re: Looking For Feedback on Paint

Postby TBUELL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:44 am

Pac,
I feel for you bud. this is a terrible job done by the painter. Have you tried a red scotch brite pad yet? If not you can get these at any auto parts store. wet the pad with water, & scrub any overspray. its worth a shot.

Top Contributor

Postby Pac-Man » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am

TBUELL wrote:Pac,
I feel for you bud. this is a terrible job done by the painter. Have you tried a red scotch brite pad yet? If not you can get these at any auto parts store. wet the pad with water, & scrub any overspray. its worth a shot.

Thanks Terry. I have not tried that, but that is a good idea. I think I may even have some in the garage from the last 3M scrap sale. Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know how it works.
"No one ever suggested that what we do is easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is." - Devon Miles

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Linky no work....... :cry:

Top Contributor

Postby Pac-Man » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:52 pm

ripperace wrote:Linky no work....... :cry:

Thank you for letting me know. I relinked it. Try it now Heath. :)

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 am

From what I seen he didn't get the bottoms of the rockers. The dent at the pinch welds? I wouldn't worry about it unless that area caused the rocker panel to be raised up to the point of hitting the door. Who welded your SFC in? I'd be pissed about that. Doesn't look like it was hot enough to burn in real good. Wheel wells? No reason for hat to look that way either. Yeah, I'd be hot if I were you.

Top Contributor

Postby Pac-Man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 am

ripperace wrote:From what I seen he didn't get the bottoms of the rockers.

That is what I was thinking too. That area should be covered. Now, in your opinion is this something that should be sanded down to bare metal and then primed and painted? It came out just yesterday that he painted over the existing paint in the door jamb and rocker panel area except for the outer area (body) of the rocker panels.

ripperace wrote:The dent at the pinch welds? I wouldn't worry about it unless that area caused the rocker panel to be raised up to the point of hitting the door.

This is the dent I am referring to. I just was not sure if this is something that should be fixed. I know you will never really see it unless the car is in the air, but still.

ripperace wrote:Who welded your SFC in? I'd be pissed about that. Doesn't look like it was hot enough to burn in real good.

They were done by my mechanic, as I have zero welding experience/knowledge. They are also bolted on, so I am not too worried about those. I agree the welds could have looked a lot cleaner, but they feel solid.

ripperace wrote:Wheel wells? No reason for hat to look that way either. Yeah, I'd be hot if I were you.

I have decided to look for another painter. I am going to just call it a lesson learned with this guy and see if I can find someone else to finish (or fix and repair and then finish) the job.

Postby 1985transam » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Hey bud sorry to hear about your unlucky deal with your painter. I've been there and done that with another project years ago. Have you tries paint stripper on those over sprayed areas. If you try make sure you wear gloves and don't get that stuff on your skin. It feels like someone is holding a light to your skin. Good luck

Postby Phoenix Knight » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Pac-Man, I've been following your blog, but I haven't seen any recent updates. Hope all is well!

Top Contributor

Postby Pac-Man » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Phoenix Knight wrote:Pac-Man, I've been following your blog, but I haven't seen any recent updates. Hope all is well!

Thanks for following and for checking up on me. I am doing great. I just have not been working on KITT much. My job has been keeping me very busy and I have also been working on a smaller project. I have posted a few videos to the blog hinting at that ;) We will resume work on KITT soon, don't worry! :)

Thanks again Phoenix Knight!

Return to “Ask an Expert”