Carpet on interior Plastic

Scanners not scanning? Boosters not boosting? Fuel pump not pumping? Ask for help for any conversion issue you are having here!

Carpet on interior Plastic

Postby 1985transam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Does anyone know where to get carpet with no backing to use on the plastic pieces that cover the fenderwell humps? I have medium doeskin carpet. I ordered extra from hawks and have gotten most of the plastic done except those pieces. I'll settle for something close in color as long as it's not 3 or 4 shades off.

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Re: Carpet on interior Plastic

Postby ripperace » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

I know this is a stretch, but you might try Auto Zone. They USED TO sell small rolls of carpet that I used to cover speaker cabinets with. It was easy to work with, and held up really well. But of course that was more than a decade ago. LOL! They used to have black, charcoal, a tan that looked VERY SIMILAR to our fabled doeskin, blue, and red. Also, you might look into Cabela's or Bass Pro. They sell Marine carpet that I know you can get tan from. It's got a rubber backing, but is very flexible in the lighter weight stuff. I've done probably half a dozen or more boats with this style of carpet, and it's easily laid, and can hug the light contours that the rear plastics have. Just a couple ideas.

Ripper

Postby 1985transam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Ripper, I got the super stretch carpet I needed. I spent 3 or 4 hours on here and found a link to a company in Ohio that sells it. It made the job a lot easier and kept me from pulling my hair out LOL. You don't have any tan seat belts that you'd like to part with do you. Doesn't have to be out of an 82. I just can't install my headliner till I replace my red seat belts. They clash with a tan interior.

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Postby ripperace » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:42 pm

No, unfortunately I don't. I will keep my eyes open though. I never know what I'll run into when I'm out and about. Just this past week I ran into a guy who had a fully restored 84 just like mine that I exchanged some info with. There is one guy I need to get with locally though for some stuff I'm needing. I'll keep ya posted.

Ripper

Postby 1985transam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks again Ripper. Have a nice Halloween.

Postby WV KITT » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Hey 1985....where did you get the carpet if I may ask?

WV KITT

Postby 1985transam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 am

The Miami Corporation, They carry a color called doeskin. Its about a half a shade off from our Medium doeskin carpet. However once its in the car you'll never notice it.

Top Contributor

Postby kitt23 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 pm

Thats what I used and I redid my backseat to match plastics carpet
R.I.P Dad 12/8/09

Return to “Ask an Expert”