Wheel Bearings

Scanners not scanning? Boosters not boosting? Fuel pump not pumping? Ask for help for any conversion issue you are having here!

Donator: Yes

Wheel Bearings

Postby HoldenV8 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:55 am

Hi guys,

This weekend I will start doing some improvements to my car.

First up, I'm going to put new wheel bearings on. This is the first time I'll be doing this. I've got shop manuals to guide me, and I've got it worked out.

Just got one stupid question for you: After the new bearings are on, the manual says to "back off nut". What does that mean?

Thanks,

Adam.

Top Contributor

Re: Wheel Bearings

Postby Pac-Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:40 am

Adam,

Once you assemble per the instructions and tighten the nut down to spec. You back turn or loosen it so as to allow you to slide the cotter pin through. I believe it is less then a 1/8 of a turn. If I remember right it specifies how much in the manual. I believe I turned mine back just far enough to be able to slide the cotter pin through. It was not much.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
"No one ever suggested that what we do is easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is." - Devon Miles

Project: K.I.T.T.
..:: Blog | Google+ | YouTube ::..

The Ultimate Knight Rider Map

Postby HoldenV8 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 am

Cool. That makes sense.

Thanks heaps, Jonathan. Helped a lot ☺

Cheers,

Ad.

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:57 pm

The way I set them is like this, and it's yet to fail. Tighten the nut to 15lbs/ft, then back off the castle nut until the rotor will spin with minimal effort with no lash (in or out movement when you push or pull on the rotor). Find the closest opening on the castle nut and slide the cotter pin in place.

Postby HoldenV8 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks Rip :)

Ad

Top Contributor

Postby ripperace » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:35 am

The biggest thing of importance is when you install the new races in the rotors. You have to make sure they are FULLY SEATED where they need to be, or else when you get the car back together and drive it, the force of driving will seat them, and you'll have a set of loose bearings, and a possibly dangerous situation on your hands.

When I was a younger guy, thinking I knew everything, I did this once. Drove the car, and couldn't figure out why I had a popping noise as I was driving it down the road, then wondered why the steering got extremely loose. We pulled off the highway, and I had my buddy walk beside the car to see if he could figure out where the hell the noise was coming from, and he stated, "Hell, your wheel's about to fall off!" WHAT???? The inner portion of the bearings had seized to the spindle, the cages of the bearing rollers were both broke, and the bearings themselves weren't even rolling on the races anymore. All because I didn't make certain the races were seated into the rotors properly. So word to the wise, either have them pressed into place, or use the "hillbilly method" and drive them in with a brass punch. Brass won't screw up the race surface if you happen to slip.

Ripper

Postby HoldenV8 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks Ripper.

Your story is what exactly was running at the back of my mind when doing my bearings, so I'm trying to do this carefully.

I couldn't get the old races out. They're in there pretty tight. But they're still in good shape, they looked as good as the new ones. But I replaced everything else and smothered everything in grease.

I haven't driven the car yet, but have moved it around the backyard. So far it feels fine and the wheels move freely with little to no play on both sides.

Ad.

Return to “Ask an Expert”