Wipers question

Scanners not scanning? Boosters not boosting? Fuel pump not pumping? Ask for help for any conversion issue you are having here!

Wipers question

Postby Guillaume » Tue May 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi guys !

Something is bothering me on my car. I believe the wipers are too visible, even with hood height adjusted and passenger wiper arm / blade fully resting on its stop thingie. It is especially the passenger wiper which is concerned. The driver is quite OK.

I have been browsing the Internet and watching some episodes from the show to find some reliable comparisons on stock cars and cars from the show. From some nice shots of the original cars from the show, it seems you have quite a big space between the top of the wiper blades and the hood lip when the wipers are off. It looks like you can put your hand between the two !

On my car, you barely have about 1 cm between the two...

All is correctly adjusted, I mean the hood height with the fenders' lines, the positions of the wiper arms / blades when the wipers are off.

At one moment, I have almost thought to move the hood back, closer to the windshield, but I realised it will not solve the problem, as I am afraid the wiper blades will then touch the lip of the hood, add to that it will mess up the front alignment of the hood / nose / headlights flaps / fenders which is very good.

So I was wondering, were there different type of wipers on 82-92 Firebird (except the fact you had standard vs pulse / delay wipers) ? From what I know, something exists on the Corvette C3, with a recessed wipers option.
Could it be a thickness of the wiper blades ? FYI I have installed standard AC Delco blades.

Thanks for your help 8-)
Guillaume -- Pontiac Trans AM 1984

Re: Wipers question

Postby IndianaKnight » Thu May 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Seems perfectly normal to me. Mine are probably on 2-3mm from the hood. I'm guessing your eye was drawn to it once and now that's all you see. I have things like that on my car. I wouldn't worry about it.

Top Contributor

Donator: Yes

Postby ripperace » Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 pm

That's absolutely normal. I wouldn't use show screen grabs as a point of reference though. Hell, they might have taken the wiper arms completely off some of those cars for all we know.

Postby Guillaume » Fri May 29, 2015 5:49 pm

IndianaKnight wrote:Seems perfectly normal to me. Mine are probably on 2-3mm from the hood. I'm guessing your eye was drawn to it once and now that's all you see. I have things like that on my car. I wouldn't worry about it.

As you said, since I've seen it, I am now focusing on it :evil: :mrgreen:

ripperace wrote:That's absolutely normal. I wouldn't use show screen grabs as a point of reference though. Hell, they might have taken the wiper arms completely off some of those cars for all we know.

Yes, I know. And I can tell you they have taken the arms on some shots, I've done screencaps :D

But I also took caps from some angles where you can see the wiper arms and blades, and the distance between the hood and blades is way far longer than on my car. I can't figure how they did that, unless they use very very thin blades :?

Here some screencaps :

Without the blades :D : Image

And the others with blades :

And for examples, these last shots. Looking at my car from the same angle, you will see the wipers, at least the passenger one for sure :

Guillaume -- Pontiac Trans AM 1984

Return to “Ask an Expert”